How to check your eBook conversions from Bookmobile.
Get a Quote
About eBook Resources
- EPUB—the eBook file for the iPad, Nook, and more.
- We recommend the eBook files be viewed on a tablet. For EPUB files, we recommend viewing on an iPad in the iBooks app.
- .jpg —the cover for the eBook file (this file is embedded in the EPUB, prc, and MOBI files).
Clients Requesting Conversion for Amazon’s Kindle Receive:
- MOBI—the eBook file for the Kindle.
- We recommend the eBook files be viewed on a tablet. For MOBI files, we recommend viewing on a Kindle tablet.
- .prc —the eBook file to upload to Amazon.
Clients Requesting a Web-Ready PDF Receive:
- .PDF—the web-ready PDF file.
An Important Caveat:
Making eBooks from PDF files created with different fonts and page layout software by different designers creates an inherent challenge: conversions are almost never perfect. The only way to ensure a perfect conversion is to do a line-by-line proofreading of the converted file against the original. While Bookmobile performs a long list of quality checks on each title converted, our team members do not proofread line-by-line unless specifically requested by the publisher. We highly recommend that eBooks created from printed originals be proofread line-by-line, because those conversions have much higher error rates. Books typeset at Bookmobile have fewer conversion errors because of our workflow. Line-by-line proofreading services involve an additional charge beyond our base conversion and Comprehensive Quality Check services.
Our Comprehensive Quality Check:
- Check link, footnote, and Table of Contents functionality.
- Review basic formatting against original PDF.
- Scan for character conversion and diacritical issues.
- Evaluate charts, graphs, and images for quality.
- Ensure treatment of tables is optimal.
- Ensure thumbnail cover images render properly.
- Add client-supplied eBook ISBN.
- Verify metadata is included in EPUB.
- Review EPUB file in Adobe Digital Editions, on the iPad, and on the Nook.
- Review the converted EPUB to MOBI file on the Kindle Fire tablet.
- Check for issues that cause problems with particular eBook resellers.
- Validate with EPUB file checking tool (essential for distribution to resellers).
- Implement any special review requests from the publisher.
- Fix any issues discovered during the processes listed above.
Bookmobile offers eBook distribution services. For more information, please contact us.